One More Page Books


2200 N. Westmoreland Street, Arlington, VA 22213 * 703-300-9746
www.onemorepagebooks.com * Mon-Sat: 10 am - 8 pm; Sun: noon - 5 pm

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The neatherworld (or Heathrow in the wee small hours...)

(...from a few days ago) In the netherworld of travel when you're neither here nor there and nothing exists but the plane and the airport. Every face I see searches desparately for something familiar.

We're all here together, but looking past each other. Where getting a cup of tea can feel like an overwhelming challenge - what currency do I need; how does the queue work; how do I order...

It's strange that when I'm traveling the people I've left and people I'm going to are not uppermost in my mind. It's like navigating and exising in unfamiliar situations leaves me no mind for the normal things of life - whether it's an airport in London, Hong Kong, Lima or Lisbon.

But at the end of the journey, I'll forget all this and hug my sister and have that cup of tea.

No comments: