A number of people have suggested I post about getting the store off the ground. Before the store was open, I was too frustrated. The first year of the store, I was too crazed. Now that we're moving into year 2, I'm still crazed, but know that it will continue that way for the foreseeable future, so here are some initial comments...
- Lost count of the number of people who've told me it's their dream to open a bookstore.
- Also lost count of the number of people (generally well-meaning) who wonder how a bookstore will make in the ebook/Amazon era. (Please don't say this -- we're tired of hearing it)
- You meet the most amazing people in bookstores -- I've also lost count of how many people I've met that I so enjoy talking with -- who make me smile just by walking into the store.
- Humbled at least 10x a day when someone asks me about a book that I haven't read yet.
- Often in awe of my staff who are so friendly, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in people and books.
- Love listening to authors talk.
- Learned that Ron Charles is a rock star in our store.
- You will never have enough money or book stands.