One More Page Books


2200 N. Westmoreland Street, Arlington, VA 22213 * 703-300-9746
www.onemorepagebooks.com * Mon-Sat: 10 am - 8 pm; Sun: noon - 5 pm

Friday, October 9, 2009

Random thoughts on traveling

Packing again and again...That’s how I feel when I go through the checkpoint – re-pack the computer; put my shoes on, put the liquids back in my bag and don’t hold up the line. You can tell the folks who know the drill, they’re ready to go through and quickly re-assemble.
I'm getting old because I remember when you could arrive 10 minutes before your flight and get on the plane. I remember walking off the jetway from a 17 hour flight from South Africa and my sister greeting us with flowers. I remember when friends drove you to the airport and visited until you boarded the plane. I’m probably like many others who’ve traveled this way (pre 9/11), who miss the ease, civility and feeling of adventure than has been replaced with lines,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

...And why can’t we somehow collect the water we all throw away at the security checkpoint and use it water plants on the airport property or for the fountains? What a waste of a previous resource.

No comments: